Rajiv D. Parikh has been recognized as a new leader of the New Jersey bar, and is a highly acclaimed litigator, crisis manager and counselor. Mr. Parikh is a Partner and Chair of the Construction Law & Litigation, Election Law & Litigation Practices and Co-Chair of the Crisis Management Practice and Hotels & Restaurants Industry Group at Genova Burns LLC. He is a member of the Complex Commercial Litigation, Public Procurement, Government Relations, Intellectual Property and other Practice Groups. Mr. Parikh recently served as Senior Counsel to Governor Phil Murphy for Transition 2018 and has worked closely with the Governor and his senior team on issues of statewide importance.
Mr. Parikh has tried a number of cases to verdict on a myriad of issues throughout the region, including high stakes litigation related to public financing, procurement, civil rights, and construction. He also has handled a variety of issues involving complex technological questions, including data protection, spoliation of electronic evidence and peer to peer network matters.
In the construction realm, Mr. Parikh has negotiated resolution of project delay disputes of over $100M arising from Hurricane Katrina, and litigation related to a public bond issuance and repayment of bridge financing for a multi-billion public-private project. In the latter matter, Mr. Parikh and the Genova Burns’ crisis management and complex litigation teams were able to expedite resolution within one week through several appellate courts due to the unique nature of the public-private project.
In the political realm, Mr. Parikh is one of only a handful of lawyers in the nation to handle complex election-related litigation as well as advise candidates on strategic matters. His clients include the New Jersey Democratic State Committee, the Democratic National Committee and candidates for local, state and federal office. He has served as general counsel to the New Jersey Democratic State Committee for more than five years and is lead counsel on dozens of campaigns including those of New Jersey Senator Cory Booker, South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg, U.S. Reps. Bonnie Watson Coleman, Josh Gottheimer and Mikie Sherrill, among others. Insider NJ's Insider 100 Political Power Attorneys list noted that Mr. Parikh as "The politically-connected attorney with Genova Burns routinely wades into political fights that end up in the courts."
Mr. Parikh is actively involved in the community serving as General Counsel for the Share & Care Foundation and the Hindu American Seva Communities, and as a board member of a number of organizations including the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey and the New Jersey District Court Historical Society. He was previously the Vice-President for Affiliate Relations for the South Asian Bar Association of North America, and in leadership roles in the Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey and the South Asian Bar Association of New Jersey.
- Successfully obtained a permanent injunction against defamatory and extortionate speech in a matter of first impression in New Jersey following a three-month trial.
- Defeated multiple appeals including a Petition for a Writ of Certiorari before the U.S. Supreme Court in a decades-old voting rights action.
- Prosecuted and resolved multiple trademark and patent infringement matters
- Successfully prosecuted a civil rights action against the government for violations of voting rights statutes.
- Negotiated a divestiture and royalty agreement resolving four litigation claims throughout the country related to an intellectual property rights, ownership and distribution dispute for a popular direct-response product marketed for children.
- Counseled a publicly traded company regarding a targeted internet-based defamation campaign impacting public relations and share price.
- Obtained a dismissal of a challenge to a $1 Billion bond issuance related to the largest public-private entertainment and retail construction project in the country.
- Negotiated the resolution of a large scale construction delay damages matter resulting from Hurricane Katrina.
- Successfully obtained emergent relief on behalf of a congressional candidate against an election official, resulting in the release of thousands of impounded ballots in a highly contested race.
- Resolved multiple litigation claims regarding ownership interests in multiple QSR franchise restaurants.
- Secured a six-figure victory in the arbitration of a construction dispute involving a public entity.
- Obtained dismissal immediately before trial of a defamation and civil rights action for discovery abuses and spoliation of evidence by the plaintiff.
- New Jersey Super Lawyers® 2010 - Present – Rising Star in Litigation
- NJBIZ® Magazine, 40 under 40
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (APALSA), Best Lawyers Under 40
- New Jersey Law Journal®, Top Leader of the Bar
- New Jersey Law Journal®, First Annual Diverse Attorney of the Year
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
- Anti-Defamation League of Northern New Jersey, Sidney Wilf Young Professional Honoree
- Rutgers Asian-Pacific American Law Students Association (APALSA), Distinguished Alumni
- Super Lawyers New Jersey April 2015 Feature Article: Election Protection
- Politicker NJ Power List
- ROI NJ Influencers List: People of Color
- Insider NJ, Power 100
- Insider NJ, Top 10 Political Lawyers
- New Jersey Globe Power List
- Rising Star, South Asian Bar Association of North America
- Member, Board of Directors. New Jersey Needs You
- General Counsel, Share & Care Foundation
- General Counsel, Hindu American Seva Communities
- Board of Directors, New Leaders Council – New Jersey
- Parliamentarian, New Jersey Democratic State Committee
- Rutgers Law School, Editor-in-Chief of the Rutgers Conflict Resolution Law Journal
- Rutgers College, Representative of the University’s Board of Governors
* No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Awards/Honors Methodology.