Joseph M. Hannon is Counsel in the Firm's Newark, NJ office and a member of the Employment Law & Litigation, Labor Law and Nonprofits, Trade Associations & Tax-Exempt Organizations Practice Groups as well as the Education Industry Group. He concentrates on traditional labor law on behalf of public and private sector clients, including municipal clients in a broad range of labor-related areas such as collective negotiations with law enforcement and civilian units as well as entities in interest arbitration proceedings. Mr. Hannon regularly appears before the Public Employment Relations Commission (PERC) on issues such as unfair practice charges and representation petitions.
Mr. Hannon’s extensive labor experience includes handling arbitrations on behalf of management in the public and private sectors. He advises clients on a wide variety of grievances, including terminations, disciplinary proceedings, contract interpretations, wage and hour matters, seniority and bumping rights and employee leave issues.
He serves as labor counsel to municipalities throughout New Jersey. He handles numerous collective negotiation agreements with public sector clients including counties, municipalities, school boards and municipal authorities, often successfully achieving concessions in wages, health benefits and working hours.
Mr. Hannon has represented management and handled arbitrations before PERC, the New Jersey State Board of Mediation, American Arbitration Association, National Labor Relations Board, Office of Administrative Law, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development as well as state and federal courts
In the area of education law, Mr. Hannon regularly advises clients on labor issues pertaining to education law. He serves as special labor counsel to boards of education throughout New Jersey. In these roles, he is lead negotiator, representing school districts in arbitrations and before PERC.
Mr. Hannon has significant experience handling wage and hour matters under both the New Jersey Wage and Hour Law and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Successfully negotiated numerous collective negotiations agreements with public sector clients, including counties, municipalities, school boards and public libraries, achieving concessions in wages, health benefits and working hours on behalf of his clients.
- Successfully represented clients in interest arbitrations, including arbitration under the Interest Arbitration Reform Law and negotiations under the 2% cap under that law.
- Successfully prosecuted disciplinary actions for public sector clients at departmental levels, on appeals at arbitration and before the Office of Administrative Law including, but not limited to, termination of police officers.
- Successfully arbitrated numerous matters before the State Board of Mediation and PERC, most notably matters concerning contract interpretation.
- Super Lawyers and New Jersey Monthly Magazine, Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law.
- Outstanding Young Man Award from the Nutley Jaycees, in recognition of community service, 2010.
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Member, Seton Hall Constitutional Law Journal.
- Author, “Casenote: Miller v. Albright,” 9 Seton Hall Const. LJ 993 (1999)