Matthew I. W. Baker is based in our Newark, NJ office and is Counsel in the Complex Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense, Investigations & Compliance and Class Action Defense Practice Groups. He represents clients in a wide range of commercial litigation matters.
Mr. Baker has extensive experience in all phases of litigation in state and federal courts, and his practice focuses on litigating complex civil actions, including federal and state RICO actions, constitutional and civil rights matters, insurance and health care fraud cases, professional malpractice matters, employment and wrongful termination cases, federal and state election law cases, construction disputes, public contract bids and awards, and various business torts.
Mr. Baker also has significant experience advising corporate, non-profit and public entities regarding corporate governance matters and, as a result, has developed expertise in litigating disputes relating to the Open Public Records Act and the Open Public Meetings Act.
Mr. Baker received his Juris Doctor from the George Washington University Law School, and his Master of Public Policy degree from the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration at George Washington University. While attending law and graduate school, Mr. Baker served as a law clerk at the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia in both the Criminal Division, Fraud and Public Corruption Section and the Special Proceedings Division, and at the U.S. Department of Justice in the Office for Access to Justice. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Yale University.
He is a 2016 Fellow of Lead New Jersey, and has served as a trustee on its board since 2017.
- Successfully represented a prospective government contractor in challenging the award of a public contract to a competitor. Although the agency was only obligated to re-open bidding for the contract, the strength of the firm's challenge prompted the agency to not only rescind the award to the competitor but also award the contract to our client.
- Successfully represented a municipal law enforcement agency in obtaining dismissal of an Open Public Records Act matter at the trial court.
- Successfully represented a public college in obtaining summary judgment dismissing Open Public Meetings Act claims in a publicly-scrutinized case.
- Successfully represented the local branch of an international non-profit in an administrative proceeding by the state Division of Civil Rights.
- Represented and advised various public and non-profit clients in matters related to corporate governance, internal investigations, compliance with the Nonprofit Corporation Act, and intra-municipal disputes under the Faulkner Act.
- Assisted in procuring successful outcomes for various health care providers in "bet-the-company" disputes with insurers regarding billing practices.
- Lead New Jersey, Board Chair
- Yale University, Member, Varsity Football Team