Judson M. Stein is a Partner in the Firm's Newark, NJ office and is Chair of the Firm’s Trusts, Estates & Wealth Management Practice Group as well as a member of the Nonprofits and Tax-Exempt Organizations Industry Group and other industry groups.
Mr. Stein has four decades of experience in family wealth transfer planning and estate administration. He is AV® rated by Martindale Hubbell; has been repeatedly named to the prestigious list of the “Best Lawyers in America” and listed as a “Super Lawyer” in New Jersey Monthly Magazine and New York Magazine. Mr. Stein has been selected as "Lawyer of the Year" in the Newark Metropolitan area, Trusts & Estates Law, Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White in both 2019 and 2020.
Mr. Stein helps clients understand their options in the areas of estate and gift planning; the selection of fiduciaries; transfers of family businesses; life insurance; retirement planning; trusts; charitable giving; health care; education funding and gifting techniques. His elder law practice assists families with life care planning; Medicaid and asset protection; health care directives and living wills.
Mr. Stein’s tax practice advises individuals and business owners and represents them before state and federal tax authorities. His corporate and business law practice counsels clients on business formation, partnership and operating agreements, shareholder agreements, business succession planning, and all varieties of contract drafting and negotiation.
Mr. Stein frequently lectures on tax and estate planning matters before professional audiences, including the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Probate and Trust Law Symposium, the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants and the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (NJICLE). Among other events, Mr. Stein organizes, moderates and presents at NJICLE’s annual Estate Planning College.
Mr. Stein is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), a professional association of lawyers skilled in the preparation of wills and trusts, estate planning, probate procedure and the administration of trusts and estates of decedents, minors and incompetents. ACTEC Fellows are selected on the basis of their professional reputation and ability in the fields of trusts and estates and by having made substantial contributions to these fields through lecturing, writing, teaching and bar activities.
In addition, Mr. Stein was an adjunct professor at Seton Hall University School of Law from 1987 to 2003 and co-authored New Jersey Estate Administration Basics, published by the New Jersey Bar Association’s Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Mr. Stein’s speaking engagements have included:
- Seton Hall Law School: Professor, Estate Planning and Drafting; 1992, 1994 through 2003
- Seton Hall Law School: Professor, Estate and Gift Taxation; 1988 through 1990
- Seton Hall Law School: Professor, Partnership Taxation, 1987, 1991, 1993
- New Jersey Bar Association Institute of Continuing Legal Education: Lecturer and Author or Co-Author of program materials:
- Life Insurance Trusts 4/21/1998
- Estate Administration 8/05/2003
- Estate Administration 8/17/2004
- Estate Administration 7/27/2005
- Planning an Estate – Charitable Giving 11/03/2006
- Estate Administration 5/22/2007
- Basic Testamentary Estate Planning 5/10/2008
- Estate Administration 9/17/2008
- Basic Testamentary Estate Planning 3/2009
- The Case of the Will-less Billionaire; Professional Responsibility, Intestacy, Spousal Rights, Testamentary Wealth Transfer, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts 1/2010
- Using Trusts in Estate Planning 11/22/2010
- 2010 Tax Act – Portability of Deceased Spouse’s Unused Exclusion, Life Insurance Planning, and Some Thoughts for 2013 and Beyond 1/26/2011 and 2/02/2011
- Planning for the Dying Client 11/21/2011
- Planning to Avoid Will Contests 12/08/2011
- Estate Planning – Initial Client Interview, Lifetime Estate Planning 2/16/2013
- Special Situations in Estate Administration 12/17/13
- Estate Planning College 8/18/2014
- Estate Planning Primer 8/11/2015
- Let’s Write a Will 12/14/15
- Estate Planning College 4/11/16
- Valuation Standards in Estate Planning and Administration 11/17/16
- Let’s Write a Will 12/12/16, 12/19/16
- Estate Planning College 4/4/17
- 23rd Annual Sophisticated Elder Law Conference (panelist) 8/10/17
- Let’s Write a Will 5/7/18
- New Jersey CPA Society: Lecturer and Author of program materials:
- GRATS, GRUTS and QPRTS 6/20/2000
- Planning Opportunities with Family Limited Partnerships 6/10/2004
- Academy for Continuing Professional Education, New Jersey Board of Accountancy: Lecturer and Author of program materials:
- Estate Planning Under the New Tax Law 6/18/2002
- Making Gifts at a Discount or How to use Valuation Strategies to Effectively Pass Wealth 6/17/2003
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, New Jersey Chapter: Lecturer and Author of program materials, Installment Sales to Grantor Trusts 5/08/2007
- Middlesex County Bar Association, Lecturer and Co-Author of program materials, Pro-active Planning: How to (Maybe) Avoid a Will Contest 8/23/2011
- CPA/CLE Continuing Professional Education, Lecturer and Author of program materials:
- Business Succession Planning, Estate Planning for the Dying Client, and Life Insurance Planning and Trusts 8/09/2011
- Estate Planning Summary and Tax Planning Opportunities for an Era of Legislative Chaos, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, and Relief From Liability on Jointly Filed Returns 1/31/2012
- Gifting – Why is 2012 So Special, Estate and Gift Tax Primer, The End of IDITS? 5/15/2012
- The Defined Formula Clause – Now Tax Court Approved? What’s At Stake – The Possible Tax Effects of Congressional Inaction, 2012 Year End Planning 12/05/12
- Tax Changes for 2013, The Impact of Low Interest Rates on Estate Planning 2/04/2013
- End of the Year Tax Planning 12/02/13
- Captive Insurance Companies-Wealth Transfer Opportunities 12/14/13
- Impact of Low Interest Rates on Estate Planning 11/13/14
- Intricacies of Crummey Withdrawal Rights 11/20/14
- A Top Ten List of Ethical Considerations in Estate Planning 6/4/15
- Planning for the Aging Client 6/23/15
- The Impact of Rising Interest Rates on Estate Planning 10/22/15
- Hot Trust & Estate Topics 6/21/16
- Code Section 2704 Proposed Treasury Regulations 10/18/16
- Uniform Trust Code In New Jersey 10/18/16
- Recent Tax Developments/Estate and Gift Tax Return Primer 1/18/18
- Guardianship and End of Life Issues 4/3/18
- Wealth Transfer Planning Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 5/22/18
- Co-Author, Recent NJ Case Upholds Protection of Trust, Matrimonial Strategist, Volume 30, Number 3, March 2012
- Appeared on Stoler Report regarding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 1/3/18
- Represented the owner of a closely held business in its re-capitalization and its subsequent transfer of ownership to a grantor trust for the benefit of the owner’s family. The transfer was achieved partly by gift and partly by sale, with the sale portion accomplished with a self-canceling promissory note.
- Represented the owner of a closely held business in its re-capitalization and its subsequent transfer of ownership to a grantor trust for the benefit of the owner’s family. The transfer was achieved partly by gift and partly by sale, with the sale portion accomplished with a private annuity.
- Represented a trust beneficiary in a dispute with the trustee over the trustee’s breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented the owner of a multi-million-dollar beach home in the transfer of the residence to a Qualified Personal Residence Trust.
- Represented a litigant in a matrimonial action concerning whether a self-settled trust should be considered in determining equitable distribution and alimony.
- Administered the multi-million-dollar estate of a decedent with multiple business and real estate interests across several states.
- Selected as "Lawyer of the Year" in the Newark Metropolitan area, Trusts & Estates Law, Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, 2019, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® in Trusts & Estates and Litigation - Trusts & Estates, 2001-2021
- New Jersey Super Lawyer® by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2005-2020
- “One of the Best Lawyers in America” by American Lawyers Magazine®
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Israel Unity Award, State of Israel Bonds, October 2003
- Certificate of Recognition, Rutgers School of Law, Estates & Trusts Society, October 2009
- University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School, Spade Award, Sphinx Honor Society
* No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Awards/Honors Methodology.