James Bucci is a Partner in the Firm's Camden, NJ and Philadelphia, PA offices and is a member of the Complex Commercial Litigation, Employment Law & Litigation and Labor Law Practice Groups as well as the Education and other Industry Groups. Mr. Bucci represents management in all areas of labor and employment law, including employment discrimination litigation; matters involving the Fair Standards Labor Act; overtime litigation and advice regarding ERISA; restrictive covenants and trade secrets; breach of contract, public and private sector collective bargaining; unfair labor practice charges and grievance arbitrations.
He also advises employers on a wide range of human resource issues, including workplace investigations, employment contracts, restrictive covenants, severance agreements, workforce restructuring, and employee policies and handbooks.
Mr. Bucci’s practice also involves complex commercial litigation. He has served as lead counsel in numerous business-related disputes, including breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation litigation; real estate and construction disputes; First Amendment and Constitutional rights claims; defamation and related business torts; and public contract and bid protests. Mr. Bucci has represented companies throughout the eastern United States in various commercial litigation matters, including the prosecution and defense of non-competition/non-solicitation agreements and trade secrets litigation, claims for employee raiding and unfair competition, and real estate litigation. He has tried numerous cases to verdict in state and federal courts, in addition to handling appeals, arbitrations and other proceedings, and has served as lead counsel on class action lawsuits in state and federal court.
Outside of work, Mr. Bucci is involved in his hometown of Haddonfield, NJ, having served on its Planning Board, Environmental Commission and Little League Baseball Board.
- Won a jury verdict in excess of $1 million, including punitive damages, on behalf of plaintiffs in a complex commercial litigation in Camden County, NJ. He successfully prosecuted claims of fraud, conspiracy and breach of contract in connection with the sale of a business.
- Successfully defended a national retail pharmacy chain in an age and sex discrimination lawsuit brought by a former employee in Hudson County, NJ. Following a two-week trial, the jury returned a no-cause verdict.
- Won a jury verdict for one of Philadelphia’s largest employers in a lawsuit brought by an employee alleging disability discrimination and retaliation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Pennsylvania Human Relations Act.
- Won a wrongful discharge and breach of contract claim for a retail food business in Camden County, NJ, in which he successfully obtained a no- cause verdict on all claims brought by a former employee.
- Defended a Fortune 500 client in an age discrimination lawsuit brought in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. After a one-week trial, the jury returned a no-cause verdict.
- Successfully defended a claim for overtime pay brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act against a national retail clothing chain in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Successfully defended a major university in a breach of contract claim brought by a professor who said he was promised a tenure-track position. Following a one-week bench trial, a judge in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania ruled for the university.
- Named to Super Lawyer listing for Employment and Labor Law in Pennsylvania by the publishers of New Jersey Monthly and Super Lawyers®, 2013-2020
- Named to Super Lawyer listing for Employment and Labor Law in New Jersey by the publishers of New Jersey Monthly and Super Lawyers®, 2021
* No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Awards/Honors Methodology.