Jennifer Mazawey is a Partner at Genova Burns specializing in Commercial Real Estate & Redevelopment, Environmental Law, and Land Use & Approvals as well as Construction & Engineering, Education and Land Development law. She represents developers in all aspects of projects, regularly appearing before planning boards and zoning boards of adjustment. Ms. Mazawey assists clients with permit acquisitions from agencies such as the Department of Environmental Protection and Department of Transportation.
Ms. Mazawey advises clients on drafting professional services and construction contracts and represents them in construction-related disputes. She provides counseling and training on all aspects of the development process.
For almost twenty years, Ms. Mazawey has also practiced education law. She has served as general and special labor counsel to boards of education and trustees throughout New Jersey, advising her clients on board governance, labor relations, special education and school construction. She has handled matters at the Public Employment Relations Commission, Office of Administrative Law and before state and federal courts.
Ms. Mazawey is a frequent lecturer for the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Jersey State Bar Association, CapRate Events (CAPRE), Newark Regional Business Partnership (NRBP) and other industry groups, such as New Jersey Business and Industry Association and New Jersey School Boards Association. She co-authored “In the Election of 2002, the Voters of New Jersey Were the Winners," 27 Seton Hall Legislative Journal 77 in 2003.
For a description of the selection process methodology for each of the publications and organizations which have included Genova Burns LLC in their rankings or awards, please click here.
- Represented New Jersey City University in its multi-phase, multi-use Public-Private Partnerships for development of University Place.
- Represented developers of Vibe, a 270-unit mixed-use high rise in downtown Newark.
- Represented Fortune 100 company for retail development approvals throughout New Jersey.
- Represented Industrial developer for significant ground-up development in Newark.
- Obtains land use approvals for big box retail developments.
- Manages land use approvals for public and private utility clients.
- Successfully represented developers in obtaining state government permits from the Department of Environmental Protection and Transportation.
- Represents developers in Construction Board of Appeals matters.
- Negotiates professional services and construction contracts on behalf of owners of large-scale developments.
- Served as general counsel to boards of education and charter school boards of trustees.
- Successfully handled education and special education matters before the New Jersey Administrative Court and the Commissioner of Education.
- ROI NJ - Influencers Real Estate Service Providers: 2020 - 2021
- ROI NJ - Influencers Women in Business, 2022
- New Leader of the Bar, New Jersey Law Journal®, 2012
- New Jersey Rising Star in Education Law, Environmental Law and Land Use Law, Super Lawyers®, New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2007 to 2013
- New Jersey Super Lawyers® listing, New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2018-2022
- Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2015 - 2022
- Best 50 Women in Business, NJBIZ®, 2016
- Women of Influence, Real Estate Forum®, 2018
- Co-Chair, CREW Network Communication and Editorial Committee, 2020
- CREW NJ Board Member through 2020
- CREW NJ President, 2018
- CREW Network Nominating Committee, 2018
- Co-Chair Industry Research Committee, CREW Network, 2019
* No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Awards/Honors Methodology.