Genova Burns’ Appellate Practice Group helps clients navigate through the appeals process. Our attorneys have litigated in state and federal appellate in New Jersey (including the Appellate Division and Supreme Court of New Jersey), New York and Pennsylvania, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, with jurisdiction over New York, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, with jurisdiction over New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The Appellate Practice Group adeptly manages all aspects of appellate matters from commencement to resolution, including:
- Trial Strategy and Interlocutory Appeals: Planning for an appeal begins at the trial court. Our appellate attorneys also litigate in the trial courts and advise on strategy for developing and preserving issues for appeal and ensuring a proper trial record. Our attorneys handle requests for interlocutory appeals, seeking the immediate review of adverse trial decisions.
- Emergent Appeals and Motions: Our appellate attorneys have handled emergency situations that require applications for expedited relief before the trial and appellate courts.
- Appellate Counseling: The appellate team advises clients on whether to appeal a decision in the first place, including identifying appellate issues, and assessing chances of success.
- Written Advocacy: Appellate judges read countless briefs. Our appellate attorneys focus on crafting briefs that can catch the attention of the appellate panel and persuade them to agree with our client’s position. In addition to merits briefs, our appellate team has handled motions and petitions for certification / certiorari.
- Administrative Appeals: Appeals from agency decisions often require development of technical expertise and an understanding of administrative procedure and judicial deference to agency decision-making. Our attorneys have filed and defended appeals from state and federal agencies in both state and federal court.
- Amicus Curiae: Our team has advised clients wishing to have their position heard in cases of broader public importance. Our attorneys have filed amicus curiae briefs on behalf of various clients, including industry associations.
- Oral Advocacy: Our lawyers have argued before appellate panels in New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, with several attorneys having argued successfully before the New Jersey Supreme Court.