Our Health & Hospital Group specializes in a broad range of regulatory, compliance, transactional and other matters in the acute care and long-term care industries. We advise our clients on:
- Bioethical issues such as informed consent, advance directives, Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders and guardianship issues;
- Certificates of need;
- Corporate compliance under Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA), Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) as other programs regulated under state and federal law;
- Corporate governance, conflict of interest and related issues;
- Corporate transactions including joint ventures, corporate reorganizations, asset acquisitions and capital leases;
- Fraud and abuse compliance including state and federal anti-referral (“Stark” and “mini-Stark”) and anti-kickback laws;
- Government investigations;
- Healthcare contracts including medical directors, management service, physician employment, consulting, supply, GPO, capital equipment purchase agreements and many others;
- Licensure, certification, survey and accreditation;
- Managed care contract negotiation, drafting and dispute resolution on behalf of providers;
- Public and private billing, and reimbursement issues.
Several practice groups work closely with our Health & Hospital Group. Both our Labor and Employment groups advise acute care and long-term care clients on the myriad labor and employment law issues that arise in this area. Our Litigation Group handles a wide array of commercial and regulatory litigation matters in the health care context ranging from employment discrimination and staff privilege disputes to managed care arbitrations and general business litigation. Our Commercial Real Estate & Redevelopment Group has considerable experience advising on commercial real estate transactions involving health care facilities.