Brigette N. Eagan is Counsel in the Firm's Newark, NJ office and is a member of the Employment Law & Litigation and Human Resources Counseling & Compliance Groups. Ms. Eagan counsels employers on terminations/employee discipline with a sensitivity to employer risk and exposure; medical marijuana issues in the workplace; leave requests under the Family and Medical Leave Act and analogous state laws; accommodation requests under the Americans With Disabilities Act; compliance issues relating to background checks under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and similar ban-the-box laws; state and federal employment and wage and hour laws; reductions in force planning and implementation; employment, confidentiality, non-competition, non-solicitation, and severance agreements; and drafting and updating company handbooks, policies, and employment applications.
Ms. Eagan also conducts sexual harassment, discrimination, and whistle-blower investigations as an Independent Investigator. She leads group and one-on-one training sessions for employees, human resources personnel, management, and in-house counsel on prohibited harassment/discrimination, workplace diversity/sensitivity, retaliation, and performance management and documentation.
Her practice area also includes a focus on pre-litigation and administrative actions, including defending employers in state and federal administrative actions.
In 2013, Ms. Eagan served as editor of the New Jersey Employment Law Letter. She authored “Taking He Said-She Said to Trial," published in the October 2006 edition of In Re Magazine, a supplement to the New Jersey Lawyer. Ms. Eagan earned the 2019 ADA Training Certificate on completion of intensive ADA/Rehabilitation Act training by the National Employment Law Institute. She was published in the New Jersey Law Journal/Law.com in March 2020, in an article entitled, “Measuring Up,” as well as in ROI-NJ in February 2020 in an article entitled "How to be a rainmaker … by a lawyer who is not one."
- Successfully litigates administrative charges and complaints before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, New Jersey Division on Civil Rights; New Jersey Department of Labor and Office of Federal Contractor Compliance.
- Successfully defends employers in litigation involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, whistle blowing, breach of contract and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 claims, both threatened and actual.
- Advises in-house counsel on case, risk assessment and budgetary issues.
- Defends employers in discrimination claims involving race, age, national origin, religion, disability, gender orientation, sexual orientation, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, retaliatory discharge and whistle blower allegations before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
- Conducts seminars to attorneys and human resources professionals on various labor and employment matters, including anti-discrimination and retaliation training; sensitivity and diversity training; managing employee leaves of absences, FMLA claims and hiring and the discipline and termination of employees.
- National Employment Law Institute: Certified, ADA/Rehabilitation Act Compliance, 2019 - 2020