Many states, such as New Jersey, have legalized or begun to legalize the use and distribution of cannabis, signaling new opportunities as well as challenges for those involved with cannabis. Issues facing our clients involving cannabis law include federal and state regulation and compliance, financing, labor and employment, health care, intellectual property, licensing, litigation, real estate, land use and zoning, and tax and corporate governance.
Given Genova Burns' experience in this area from the earliest stages of its development, the Firm is uniquely qualified to advise investors, processors, cultivators, distributors and retailers on cannabis law matters. Our clients turn to us for assistance in understanding and navigating the legal and policy issues of this highly regulated and nuanced business.
We advise our cannabis law clients on entity formation, drafting and negotiating agreements, and the evolution and impact of industry legislation including what is on the horizon, employment and human resources issues, and intellectual property matters.
We have successfully:
- Advised on cannabis company formation and investment
- Negotiated licenses, permits and contracts for cannabis-focused businesses
- Advised on the funding and acquisition of cannabis-related entities
- Counseled our employer clients on employee training and human resources policies such as drug testing and cannabis use at the workplace
- Counseled on federal, state and local laws governing growth, distribution, sale and use of cannabis
- Secured critical intellectual property rights on behalf of our clients
Members of our Cannabis Group are highly regarded and sought-after industry advisors, assisting government officials on key industry topics impacting cannabis legislation. In addition, they are actively involved in many cannabis organizations in New Jersey, regionally and nationally.
Justine L. Abrams
Allison M. Benz
Joseph A. Bottitta
Erica M. Clifford
Michael C. McQueeny
Charles J. Messina
Rajiv D. Parikh
Paul M. Rozenberg