The New York City Council Committee on Governmental Operations
is considering legislation to make technical amendments to the campaign finance legislation adopted this past summer. Among other changes, Intro. No. 651 would:
- Ensure that the contribution limits that apply to persons doing business with the city encompass both the primary and general elections.
- Clarify an exemption from the doing business restrictions for affordable housing developers.
- Delay the application of the doing business contribution limits on those who act in a “senior managerial capacity” until July 2008.
- Create an emergency exception for the doing business restrictions.
- Confirm that the new 6:1 matching rate applies to all contributions raised for future elections.
The Committee held a hearing on December 6, 2007 at which the Executive Director of the Campaign Finance Board
and the City’s Chief Procurement Officer
Genova, Burns & Vernoia submitted testimony
today, addressing several issues, including the fundraising threshold for public funds qualification and the spending limit exemption for expenses related to Campaign Finance Board audits.