James M. Burns is Co-Founder of Genova Burns and a Partner in the Firm's Newark, NJ office. Mr. Burns is Chair of the Healthcare & Hospital and Co-Chair of the Insurance & Reinsurance Industry Groups as well as a member of the Transportation, Trucking, Shipping & Logistics Industry Group. He has extensive experience in insurance, employment and health care law and has served as defense counsel in insurance, insurance regulatory and coverage matters.
Mr. Burns has represented and served as outside general counsel for numerous acute care hospitals. He has extensive experience in board governance, corporate strategy and enterprise risk management.
Mr. Burns served as special counsel to the transition committee for New Jersey Governor-elect James E. McGreevey from 2001 to 2002.
Mr. Burns is rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Covenant House International Board of Trustees (2013 to 2018)
- Community Health Charities, Board of Trustees, Chairman, Executive Committee, (2006 – 2011)
- Chair of Board of Trustees, Community Health Charities, (2009 – 2011)
- Chair, Strategic Planning Committee, Integrity House Board of Trustees (2012 - 2017)
- Represented Christ Hospital of Jersey City in its sale through bankruptcy
- Represented Somerset Medical Center in its merger with Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- Represented the New Jersey Retail Merchants Association in New Jersey Retail Merchants Association v. Sidamon-Eristoff, in which the Third Circuit Court of Appeals enjoined a New Jersey state law that defined as unclaimed property unused gift card balances held by the retail industry.