David P. Cooke is Of Counsel and Chair of the Aviation Industry Group as well as a member of the Transportation, Shipping, Trucking & Logistics Practice Group. Mr. Cooke practiced aviation law for more than 20 years in the law department of Honeywell International, Inc. As Assistant General Counsel at Honeywell, he was responsible for all transactional and regulatory matters related to the company’s large fleet of corporate and test aircraft.
Prior to Honeywell, Mr. Cooke was an associate at a large law firm where he represented aircraft manufacturers and operators in aircraft accident and commercial litigation. He is an active pilot and flight instructor, holding an FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate for single and multi-engine aircraft and gliders, a Flight Instructor Certificate for airplanes and gliders and a Remote Pilot - UAS Certificate.
Mr. Cooke is an FAA Safety Team (“FAASTeam”) representative and gives safety seminars, counseling and training to pilots.
For a description of the selection process methodology for each of the publications and organizations which have included Genova Burns LLC in their rankings or awards, please click here.
- Represented Fortune 50 clients, charter operators and high net worth individuals in negotiating and closing deals involving buying, selling and leasing of new and used aircraft for executive transportation and flight test purposes.
- Advised corporate flight departments regarding Federal Aircraft Administration regulatory compliance issues, including importation and registration in the United States of foreign aircraft.
- Represented corporate and high net worth individuals in negotiating and acquiring fractional interests in aircraft.
- Counseled Fortune 50 clients regarding aircraft time sharing and interchange agreements.
- Counseled Fortune 50 clients with respect to compliance with FAA regulations on compensation by corporate officials, employees and guests traveling on corporate aircraft.
- Collaborated with tax and SEC counsel for Fortune 50 clients regarding issues related to corporate aircraft operations and transactions, including IRC section 1031 like-kind exchange transactions.
- Assisted a Fortune 50 client and charter operator in complying with European Union Emissions Trading System regulations applicable to business aircraft.
- Holder of US Coast Guard Masters License
Also of Interest
December 12, 2019