Rebecca Moll Freed and Alexandra Hill to Present Campaign Finance Seminar for NJ Bankers
February 12, 2014
On Tuesday, March 4, 2014, Rebecca Moll Freed and Alexandra M. Hill of the firm’s Corporate Political Activity Practice Group will be presenting at the NJ Bankers Association seminar entitled “Developing an Ethical and Effective Political Activity Compliance Program.”
Regulated industry companies, such as banks, require a heightened level of care because of New Jersey’s regulated industry ban. Although banks are prohibited from participating in the political process, bank officers, directors and employees have a First Amendment right to participate.
This program is designed to help banks put effective and ethical protocols in place that properly address:
- The regulated industry ban;
- Establishment and operation of a voluntary employee political action committee/continuing political committee;
- Individual political activity by officers, directors and employees;
- Pay-to-Play restrictions, including ELEC’s Annual Business Entity Filing requirement (due on March 30, 2014);
- Independent expenditures; and
- Gifts and entertainment.
Attendees will walk away with an understanding of the steps that their bank needs to take to avoid reputational risk, loss of government contracting opportunities and potential exposure to government investigation and sanctions. An ethical and effective compliance program is an essential tool to help ensure that all political contributions and interactions with elected officials are in compliance with applicable law.
Click here for program and registration information.