Dena Calo Presents "Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know" for the National Business Institute
November 19, 2013
Dena B. Calo, Partner and Director of the firm's Human Resource Practices Group, will be presenting a seminar for the National Business Institute on "Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know". The event will be held on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 from 9am-4pm at Ceasar’s in Atlantic City.This essential course focuses on day-to-day issue spotting - covering current hot button issues and highlighting practical pointers to avoid and handle common problem areas. Experienced faculty will take you through the critical legal issues you need to know from hiring to firing - including wages and benefits, workplace privacy and safety, discrimination, and more. Topics include how to:
- Stay up to date on the latest changes and cases in human resource law.
- Understand the legal do's and don'ts during the interview process, including background checks and drug testing, drafting employment contracts, and hiring independent contractors and immigrants.
- Ensure overtime and employee leave policies are compliant with the law.
- Learn appropriate methods for calculating and tracking FMLA time.
- Make sure employee handbooks contain the critical provisions necessary to keep them up to date with current issues.
- Discuss the latest interpretations of "disability" under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Prevent workplace safety violations by knowing safety regulations and record keeping requirements.
- Know how to appropriately handle thorny employee behavior issues while ensuring privacy rights are upheld.
- Set up proper discipline and firing procedures to avoid wrongful termination and retaliatory claims.
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar examines the current issues in human resource law for Attorneys, HR Directors, and Risk Management Directors. CLE credits and credits for the Human Resource Certification Institute are available.