Michael C. McQueeny is Counsel in the Firm's Newark, NJ office and is Co-Chair of the Cannabis Practice Group. He advises businesses, including investors, processors, distributors, retailers and cultivators, on various aspects of the legal cannabis industry.
Michael C. McQueeny is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Cannabis Practice Group and an Attorney in the Firm's Newark, NJ office. With experience forged in advising clients with respect to operations in several different states and over the course of several different licensing rounds, Mr. McQueeny advises businesses, including investors, processors, cultivators, and retailers, on all aspects of the legal cannabis and CBD industry, from formation, to application, to operation.
Mr. McQueeny counsels clients regarding licensing, funding, operation and acquisition of cannabis-and-CBD-related entities and advises them on federal and state legislation, regulations, and local laws governing the growth, processing, sale and use of cannabis. Mr. McQueeny has advised several of the larger multi-state operators, and has spoken widely on topics affecting the industry on panels, in publications, and on television.
Mr. McQueeny also litigates complex commercial matters in both state and federal courts. He handles a wide range of business litigation matters including issues involving commercial disputes, shareholder/LLC membership disputes, real estate, foreclosures, tax, bankruptcy, and debtor and creditor rights actions.
Mr. McQueeny was a 2018 Fellow of Lead New Jersey, an organization that opens challenging possibilities to a highly select group of Fellows to learn the cutting edge issues affecting New Jersey and to link its Fellows directly with talented leaders who are making improvements around New Jersey.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. McQueeny served as a law clerk for the Honorable Patricia K. Costello, A.J.S.C., Assignment Judge for the Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex Vicinage.
During law school, Mr. McQueeny served as a Research Assistant for Villanova University School of Law Dean Doris Brogan, a Judicial Intern for the Hon. Dennis M. Cavanaugh, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, a legal intern with Fair Share Housing Center, and as a student attorney with the Pennsylvania Innocence Project.
- Successfully advised and assisted client in obtaining an award to operate a medical cannabis dispensary;
- Advise government entities with respect to cannabis related issues;
- Assisted clients in multiple states and multiple licensing rounds with respect to cannabis licensing applications;
- Assist clients in all aspects of the cannabis licensing application, from business formation, leasing and/or purchase agreements, obtaining local support, forging strategic partnerships, and regulatory/statutory guidance;
- Advise clients with respect to business formation and operation, including, but not limited to, selection of entity type, business structure, funding, and acquisition;
- Successfully represented a private developer in obtaining dismissal of an appeal seeking to challenge a public entity’s authority in issuing $1.15 billion in non-recourse limited obligation municipal bonds as part of a broader financing package for the developer’s project. The firm obtained a unanimous ruling from the Appellate Division and a stipulation of withdrawal before the New Jersey Supreme Court in eight days;
- Successfully represented real estate developer in obtaining multi-million judgment against municipal governing body associated with payments made in connection with tax exemptions;
- Successfully prosecuted a three-day bench trial in a breach of contract action, obtaining the full contractual relief sought;
- Successfully prosecuted New Jersey Civil Rights Act claim against County Clerk associated with election violations;
- Assisted in a several-week trial related to a fraudulent sale of a business, which ultimately resulted in a million-dollar jury verdict and the award of various aspects of equitable relief; and
- Assisted in counseling a publicly traded company regarding a targeted internet-based defamation campaign.
- Irish Echo's 40 under 40 List
- Villanova University School of Law, Herman J. Obert Award for outstanding achievement in the area of corporations and business organizations, Certificate of Achievement for outstanding performance in the area of contracts
- Syracuse University, Fleur-De-Lis Honor Society for distinguished campus leadership
- Named to the Rising Star list by the publishers of New Jersey Monthly and Super Lawyers®, 2019-2020
* No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. See Awards/Honors Methodology.