Michael C. McQueeny is an Associate in the Firm's Newark, NJ office and is Co-Chair of the Cannabis Practice Group. He advises businesses, including investors, processors, distributors, retailers and cultivators, on various aspects of the legal cannabis industry.
Mr. McQueeny counsels clients regarding licensing, funding and acquisition of cannabis-related entities and advises them on state legislation and local laws governing growth, distribution, sale and use of cannabis.
Mr. McQueeny has litigated cases in various state and federal courts. He handles a wide range of complex commercial litigation matters including issues involving business disputes, shareholder disputes, real estate, foreclosures, tax, and debtor and creditor rights actions.
Mr. McQueeny was a 2018 Fellow of Lead New Jersey.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. McQueeny served as a law clerk for the Honorable Patricia K. Costello, A.J.S.C., assignment judge for the Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex Vicinage.
During law school, Mr. McQueeny served as a Research Assistant for Villanova University School of Law Dean Doris Brogan, a Judicial Intern for the Hon. Dennis M. Cavanaugh, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, and as a student attorney with the Pennsylvania Innocence Project.
- Successfully advised and assisted client in obtaining an award to operate a medical cannabis dispensary.
- Successfully represented a private developer in obtaining dismissal of an appeal seeking to challenge a public entity’s authority in issuing $1.15 billion in non-recourse limited obligation municipal bonds as part of a broader financing package for the developer’s project. The firm obtained a unanimous ruling from the Appellate Division and a stipulation of withdrawal before the New Jersey Supreme Court in eight days.
- Successfully represented real estate developer in obtaining multi-million judgment against municipal governing body associated with payments made in connection with tax exemptions.
- Successfully prosecuted a three-day bench trial in a breach of contract action, obtaining the full contractual relief sought.
- Successfully prosecuted New Jersey Civil Rights Act claim against County Clerk associated with election violations.
- Assisted in a several-week trial related to a fraudulent sale of a business, which ultimately resulted in a million-dollar jury verdict and the award of various aspects of equitable relief.
- Assisted in counseling a publicly traded company regarding a targeted internet-based defamation campaign.
- Villanova University School of Law, Herman J. Obert Award for outstanding achievement in the area of corporations and business organizations, Certificate of Achievement for outstanding performance in the area of contracts
- Syracuse University, Fleur-De-Lis Honor Society for distinguished campus leadership