Growing numbers of states throughout the nation, including New Jersey, have undertaken efforts to legalize and regulate cannabis, signaling the emergence of a dynamic and flourishing industry faced with multitudes of legal questions. Federal laws and regulations, establishing and expanding the industry, use of cannabis for medical and recreational purposes, business entity formation, and banking and financial compliance are just a few of the myriad of complex issues facing this highly regulated sector.
Genova Burns is uniquely qualified to advise businesses involved in various aspects of the legal cannabis industry, including investors, processors, distributors, retailers, and cultivators. As more and more states approve the legal growth, distribution and sale of cannabis, businesses will require sound legal guidance on a multitude of issues surrounding the industry, including local and state compliance, financing, employment and human resources, labor, health care, intellectual property, licensing, litigation, commercial real estate, land use and zoning, taxation and surcharges, and corporate governance.
Cannabis industry clients have turned to Genova Burns for assistance with understanding and navigating the legal and policy aspects of this heavily regulated business. Among the services we provide are helping form corporations, drafting and negotiating transactional matters, advising on the evolution and impact of state legislation, counseling on employment issues, and providing intellectual property protection.
For example, we have:
- Assisted clients in negotiating licensing, permits and promotional transactions for cannabis businesses.
- Worked with cannabis clients to secure key intellectual property rights.
- Counseled employers regarding training and human resources policies, including drug testing policies, relating to cannabis use among employees.
- Advised clients regarding funding and acquisition of cannabis-related entities.
- Counseled clients regarding state legislation and local laws governing growth, distribution, sale, and use of cannabis.
- Assisted clients with regard to corporate formation and investment in a cannabis business and a cannabis service industry.
Members of our cannabis team are involved in a number of cannabis organizations in New Jersey and nationally, and have served as sounding boards to government officials who create laws and regulations for the industry.
Co-Chairs, Cannabis Law Group