John R. Vreeland is Chair of the Wage & Hour Compliance and Transportation, Trucking & Logistics Law Practice Groups and a Partner in the Labor Law Practice Group.
As Chair of the firm’s Wage & Hour Compliance Practice Group, Mr. Vreeland assists the firm’s clients in being proactive to address wage and hour issues before litigation or a government investigation has commenced. Mr. Vreeland regularly counsels management in all industries on their payroll and record keeping practices and partners with their human resources and payroll departments to perform periodic compliance audits and design policies and job descriptions to reduce risk and exposure for wage and hour claims.
- Represents employers before U.S. and State Wage & Hour Divisions, both during the investigation and litigation phase.
- Litigates wage and hour claims in state and federal courts, including class and collective actions.
- Currently drafting a Treatise on New York Wage & Hour Law, to be published by the New York State Bar Association’s Labor & Employment Section.
Mr. Vreeland also practices traditional labor law on behalf of the firm’s private sector clients with extensive experience before the National Labor Relations Board, state and federal courts and labor arbitrators.
- Represents management in collective bargaining in a variety of industries, including the healthcare, energy, construction and entertainment industries.
- Bargained eight labor agreements for a successor employer post-privatization of a horse racing track.
- Advises clients involved in labor disputes and assists employers facing union organizing campaigns, including the development of strategies and communications for remaining union-free and unfair labor practice avoidance.
- Advises clients on their obligations under state and federal labor laws when embarking on major business changes, such as layoffs, facility closures, acquisitions, sales and mergers.
Mr. Vreeland received his Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from New York Law School in 1997, and his bachelor’s degree, cum laude, from Rutgers University in 1994. After law school, Mr. Vreeland served as Law Clerk to the Honorable George W. Parsons, Jr., Superior Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey, 1998
- New York, 2001
New York Law School, J.D.,1997, cum laude
Rutgers University, B.A., 1994, cum laude