Joseph A. Bottitta, of Counsel in the firm’s Newark, New Jersey office, serves as Ethics Counsel to the Firm. He is a member of the Complex Commercial Litigation, Commercial Real Estate & Redevelopment, Business Law & Commercial Transactions, and Alternate Dispute Resolution, Cannabis Law and Trusts and Estates Practice Groups.
The 100th President of the New Jersey State Bar Association, Mr. Bottitta began his practice in 1974, providing comprehensive general representation for corporations and individuals, specializing in the representation of insurance and real estate clients and litigating before the New Jersey State Court. He is rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale. Mr. Bottitta has been a Fellow of the American Bar Association since 1993 and a Trustee for the Legal Services Foundation of Essex County since 1990.
Mr. Bottitta has also been appointed to the New Jersey Supreme Court’s Special Committee on Attorney Ethics and Admissions to review the recent American Bar Association (ABA) amendments to the Model Rules of Professional Conduct and standards for admission to practice law for attorneys from other jurisdictions.
Mr. Bottitta serves on the United States District Court, District of New Jersey Panel of Mediators, as well as an Arbitrator for the United States District Court, District of New Jersey.
Mr. Bottitta has twenty-five years of experience practicing law and thirteen years of business management experience. He led New Jersey Lawyer Services from 2000 to 2012, managing and directing all operations of this regional document delivery service and growing it into the largest dedicated legal courier and process serving organization in the New York/New Jersey metro area.
• President of the New Jersey State Bar Association from 1998 – 1999
• President of the Essex County Bar Association from 1986 – 1987
• Moderator for New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education 2004 – present: “What New Jersey Attorneys Need to Know about New York Practice.”
• Appointed First Fee Arbitration Secretary in New Jersey
• Appointed as a Uniform Law Commissioner by Governor Kean from 1986 – 1991
• Received Seton Hall University School of Law – Many Are One Award (1999)
• Recognized by Chief Justice Wilentz, as a member of the coordination council which developed the Inns of Court program in New Jersey and served as an initial Master of the William J. Brennan Inn of Court – the 1st Inn of Court established in New Jersey
• Appointed to serve on numerous Supreme Court Committees including the Special Committees on Electronic Filing and Public Access to Court Records
Mr. Bottitta received his Juris Doctor from Seton Hall University School of Law in 1974 and is admitted to practice before state and federal courts in the state of New Jersey and before the United States Supreme Court.
- New Jersey, 1974
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1974
- United States Supreme Court, 1981
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1974
Seton Hall University, B.S., 1971